Happy Friday San Tan,
Below is information that I have received from the Maricopa County Department of Public Health.
We understandthat there is a lot of information circulating about the Novel Coronavirus, now known as COVID-19. We would like to share a situational update from Maricopa County Department of Public Health (MCDPH), understanding that this is a rapidly evolving situation and information could change.
WHAT IS KNOWN
- The virus causing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a new coronavirus that has not been previously identified and causes a respiratory illness ranging from a mild cold-like illness to severe pneumonia.
- Most (81%) of people diagnosed with COVID-19 in China had mild disease.
- Similar to influenza, the people who are most likely to have severe disease and complications from COVID-19 are older individuals (>60 years old) and those with other medical conditions like heart and lung disease or diabetes.
- There is no vaccine or treatment currently available for COVID-19.
- Currently, there is NO confirmed community spread of COVID-19 in the US, but experts predict there will eventually be community spread.
HOW THE VIRUS SPREADS
- COVID-19 is believed to spread primarily the same way the common cold or flu spreads – through respiratory droplets that are produced when someone coughs or sneezes.
- People who are most at risk of becoming infected with COVID-19 are those who have been in close contact (within about 6 feet) with someone who has the disease.
- People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest).
- Some spread of the virus might be possible before a person has symptoms; there have been reports of COVID-19, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
MCDPH staff are working day and night to monitor this evolving situation and will continue to provide new information to the community as things change. If you have questions or are seeing increases in illness and would like to consult with our team, please call us at 602-506-6767. Please follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/MaricopaHealth or at www.maricopa.gov/coronavirus.
CEO/Superintendent of Schools
San Tan Montessori School INC
2013 – 2018 East Valley Tribune Best Charter School
2014 Gilbert Chamber of Commerce Large Business of the Year